Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Incredible Edible Apple (cackle, cackle, cackle!)

I can’t believe that it is October already! October means that it is officially fall. In the Bay Area, we had some rare glorious weather this past weekend – the final throws of summer. It was perfect weather to tour San Francisco with friends. There’s nothing like Lombard Street and North Beach at twilight on a mild day – absolutely gorgeous! And now it’s chilly, foggy, and we just had our first big rain of the season – bleh!

Of course, you know what that means! It’s time to do the following:

•Embrace the fact that our red hair could have possibly caused us to be burned at the stake during the Middle Ages (haha);

•Pull out our witch hats out of respect for all of the persecuted redheads before us;

•Put ‘em on; and,

•Head to the market to shop for apples.

Yes, apples! The apple harvest is in!
Cackle, cackle, cackle!
And no, I’m not talking about the latest iPhone or Siri, although I am very saddened that Steve Jobs passed away. I'm talking Johny Appleseed apples.

A childhood friend recently reminded me on Facebook how one of our neighbors used to give us apples at Halloween every year and how disappointed we always were. But nowadays apples make me so happy! When we were kids, it only seemed like we had two apple choices at the store – red delicious and golden delicious. Um, boring! Do you have any idea how many varieties of apples are grown in the U.S.? According to the U.S. Apple Commission, nearly 100 varieties are grown commercially in the United States; however, a total of 15 popular varieties accounted for almost 90 percent of apple production in 2008.

If you are not a big apple fan, maybe it is just because you haven’t found the right apple variety for you. Are you a sweet, tart or sour apple person? Go to the market, pick one of each variety, and see if you can find a few varieties that you like best. It is my experience that organic apples tend to have better flavor. Personally, my favorite apple variety is Ambrosia. It is a relatively new variety that originated in British Columbia in the mid-1990s. It is sweet, crisp, aromatic, and has low acidity. If I spread a little almond butter on a slice, it is the perfect fall comfort food snack for me.

Apples not only taste good, but they are packed with nutrition. You’ve all heard how “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Well, research has shown that there is some truth to that saying. While nutritional content can vary, below is a summary of the health benefits of apples:

•Apples can assist with weight loss, can help lower blood pressure, and can reduce the chances of diabetes and coronary/cardiovascular disease.

•Apples are high in antioxidants (including the bioflavonoid quercitin) and can possibly inhibit the growth of cancer cells, promote lung health, and protect the brain from oxidative stress.

•Apples are high in pectin, a soluble fiber, which promotes gut health and boosts immunity.

More importantly, most apples are RED and are a great snack that can make a redheaded fashion statement!

1 comment:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete