Friday, September 16, 2011

To Go Gluten Free or Not? That is the Question.

Everybody seems to be going on a gluten free diet these days. It’s the latest diet trend among several celebrities. So my dear redheads, I ask the question -- should we go gluten free? Well, as always, I look to science for guidance, but first a little background.

Gluten free diets were originated for those who have Celiac Disease. Celiac Disease is a food intolerance to a gluten protein found in grains including all forms of wheat such as durum, semolina, spelt, kamut, einkorn and faro, and related grains such as rye, barley and triticale. While oats do not have gluten, they have molecules similar to gluten which can cause reactions in sensitive individuals. Oats can also be contaminated from being processed and stored with other glutinous grains such as wheat.

Celiac Disease affects approximately 1 in 133 Americans. It causes damage to the intestinal lining resulting in malabsorption of nutrients and intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Celiac Disease is considered to be a multi-system, multi-symptom, autoimmune disorder. If untreated it can lead to other severe health problems and even death. Signs and symptoms of Celiac Disease can vary greatly from person to person. For more information on signs and symptoms, please see here.

Is there a connection between Celiac Disease and red hair? From the studies I’ve read, I personally think there can be. The gene that causes red hair, MC1R, and the gene that causes Celiac Disease, DQ2 and DQ8, are both common to those with northern European ancestry. But that’s not all. The gene MC1R, that doesn’t function on our skin cells and causes our red hair, ALSO APPEARS ON IMMUNE CELLS in the intestinal tract where it helps protect the gut by fighting inflammation. So if MC1R doesn’t function on our skin cells, it could conceivably not function on our immune cells creating a propensity to inflammation in our gut. In other words, just as our skin is vulnerable to damage from ultraviolet radiation from the sun, our intestinal tract might also be vulnerable to the stress and damage of everyday digestion. Now if you happen to have the Celiac Disease gene in addition to the red hair gene, this combination could be like throwing water on a grease fire and boom – inflammation party! Even if you do not have the Celiac Disease gene, wheat and glutinous grains can still cause allergies or gastro-intestinal disturbances due to their difficulty to digest.

But how do you know if glutinous grains (or wheat only) are an issue for you? There are a few tests that you can take:

-A genetic DNA test - this will tell you whether you have a genetic tendency towards Celiac Disease

-A blood test for Celiac Disease - this test indicates whether you might be having an anti-gliadin immune reaction to gluten

-A biopsy of the small intestine - this is the only test that can confirm whether you indeed have developed Celiac Disease. You must be eating gluten regularly at the time of the test for it to be accurate. Partial and full atrophy of intestinal "villi" can indicate Celiac Disease (be sure to always get a copy of your test results)

-Wheat allergy tests – This is separate from Celiac Disease and can be tested with a skin prick test (Immunoglobulin E) and blood tests (Immunoglobulin G).

If you prefer not to do a test, you can also try an elimination diet and remove gluten from your diet for three to six months to see how it makes you feel, then introduce it back into your diet, and observe for reactions or symptoms. If no reaction or symptoms, you can include it in on rotation on every fourth day.

If you plan to go gluten free, it is best to stick to a whole food diet and swap out your whole glutinous grains with whole non-glutinous grains like brown or wild rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, teff or amaranth. Whole non-glutinous grains are nutritious, high in fiber, and have some vitamin Bs. I recommend supplementing with a high quality Vitamin B complex while on a gluten free diet just in case you don’t get enough. Non-contaminated oats are now available if you want to try them, but they could also cause reactions depending upon the individual.
There are a lot of gluten free baked goods out there that are really tempting and tasty. Ten years ago these types of products totally sucked -- no longer! But watch out! Just because a label says it is “gluten free” does not necessarily mean that it is good for you, nutritious, free of fat, free of sugar, low in calories, and high in fiber. You still need to read the labels. A gluten free cookie is still a cookie after all! Now for those with Celiac Disease who never get to eat cookies EVER, a gluten free cookie is most definitely a happy treat every once in a while. But as with regular cookies, don’t over do it.

Personally, Celiac Disease runs in my family and my redheaded sister has it. While I tested as having a high anti-gliadin immune reaction, I have never been officially diagnosed with the disease. I decided to go gluten free several years ago, and I have found it to be very beneficial to my health and well-being – except of course when I indulge in too many gluten free cookies and gain weight! In summary, I think a gluten free diet is worth redheads trying, especially if lately you’ve been feeling that more than your hair is “inflamed.”

1 comment:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete