Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Redheads, Postpartum Hemorrhage, and Bruising

How many of you female redheads have visited the gynecologist and were told that you bleed more easily, have more fragile or less elastic tissue, or are at risk for postpartum hemorrhage? I have been told all of these by my gynecologist and my physical therapist. But when you ask where they have heard this information, they are unlikely able to cite a source or a scientific study.

Like anesthesiologists who observed for many years (until it was scientifically proven) that redheads have a lower pain threshold, the redheads and postpartum hemorrhage observation is only anecdotal at this point. Currently, there are no scientific studies conducted to prove that female redheads are at risk for postpartum hemorrhage; however, it is common in practice for gynecologists, obstetricians, obstetric nurses and midwives to warn redheads that they are predisposed to postpartum hemorrhage. Often OBGYN manuals at birthing centers inform medical staff to take special precautions for natural redheads who are in labor. An article in the Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health mentions that risk factors for hemorrhage were criteria for intravenous hydration (IVH) during labor and that natural redheads are at risk for hemorrhage. In Peggy Vincent’s Baby Catcher, an appendix entitled “Pearls of Wisdom” simply states “Redheads bleed” with no explanation or source. The scientific accuracy of this topic is often debated on online chat message boards such as Midwifery Today Forums, www.allnurses.com and www.babycenter.com. It should be noted that other risk factors for postpartum hemorrhage include: prolonged third stage of labor, preeclampsia, mediolateral episiotomy, previous postpartum hemorrhage, multiple gestation, arrest of descent, maternal hypotension, coagulation abnormalities (see the Redhead Bruising Phenomenon below), lacerations of the cervix/vagina/perineum, Asian or Hispanic ethnicity, delivery with forceps or vacuum, augmented labor, nulliparity/multiparity, and polyhydramnios.

To be cautious and to prevent postpartum hemorrhage, all women especially redheads, should optimize their nutritional status prior to and during pregnancy by eating well and by taking high quality prenatal supplements, preferably supplements that are research-based and have pharmaceutical grade manufacturing practices. A colleague of mine, Julie Matthews conducts classes on holistic nutrition for pregancy and conception and has some information on her website at Healthful Living. Redheads should also have blood work that checks their blood coagulation (see more info below), and their practitioners should not rush delivery of the placenta.

For more information about painful intercourse, please see Redheads and Pain.

The Redhead Bruising Phenomenon

How many of you have had a boyfriend who told you that you bruise like a banana? Only me? Dr. Edwin Liem, who previously studied redheads and pain, has once again stepped up to the plate for redheads to test whether they bruise more easily.

Dr. Liem’s predecessors, Reid and Trotter, observed that the blood of redheaded males takes slightly longer to coagulate than the blood of dark-haired males, but both groups remained within the normal range. This study was conducted in 1973, and blood coagulation tests have since improved.

Dr. Liem recruited female volunteers aged 18-40 of comparable heights and weights with bright red hair and dark black or brown hair. Each volunteer completed a questionnaire about their bruising history and were given blood coagulation tests. Seven out of 25 redheads reported a history of easy bruising versus only 2 of the 26 dark-haired volunteers. There were no significant differences in the blood coagulation tests between the volunteers. The conclusion was that if red hair is associated with bruising, the abnormalities are subtle and not detected by commonly used blood coagulation tests.

However, it should be noted that the melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R), whose function may be compromised in redheads, appears on endothelial cells which are a vital part of the lining of the blood vessels. This malfunctioning receptor also appears on immune cells which contribute to anti-inflammatory processes during the blood clotting process. It remains unknown whether the malfunctioning MC1R compromises the structural integrity of the skin or blood vessels or compromises anti-inflammatory response during blood clotting, but it is possible that these theories may help to explain the observed “Redhead Bruising Phenomenon” that 7 out of 25 redheads (and my ex-boyfriend) report.

14 comments:

  1. Carol,

    Fascinating post! I have sent it to my friend who is an obstetric nurse and want to see what she says about it. Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Herpes Simplex Virus by this by Dr voodoo and she also gave the email address of this man and advise anyone to contact him for any kind of problem that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr voodoo telling him about my (Herpes Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Though i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr voodoo assured me, after some time i went to my doctor for test and it confirmed that i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends if anyone have such problem and need help contact Dr voodoo on his email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I'd be happy to get any feedback Tom!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog! I'm a natural redhead and am the healthiest person I know. BUT, I can't tolerate wheat products (so I simply avoid them) and I hemorrhaged horribly after giving birth, much to the consternation of the obgyn. An old midwife had told me many years before that redheads bleed a lot during childbirth..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy,
    It sounds like you know thyself which is great!
    It is interesting to hear about your wheat intolerance and the postpartum hemorrhage. Thank you for sharing!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great blog. I too was told about the redhead bleeding while pregnant. My midwife had me take extra iron, just in case. I had no troubles there. I also had a dentist tell me redhead's gums bleed more, too, that they're thinner. Fascinating stuff! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi,

    I had a similar comment from my dental hygienist. Daily flossing and adequate vitamin C intake seem to do the trick there just fine for anyone with this problem. Vitamin C occurs in most fresh and raw fruits and vegetables. If you feel you aren't getting enough or you need an extra boost, you can supplement 500-2000 mg per day. Thank you for your comment!

    Carolbetty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost forgot - Vitamin C that has an equal or greater amount of bioflavonoids assists in its absorption. A buffered form of Vitamin C can also help it go easier on the stomach, but stay away from sodium ascorbate if you are sodium sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am a natural redhead and was warned about a "fast labor, fast delivery, and a bleeder." I hit all three. However, I have a fairly high pain threshold. I was told by my GP last fall to start taking a low dose aspirin since I'm mid 50's. The end of Dec. I started my period and it continued for almost 4 weeks. After a visit to my gyn, she said "natural redheads bleed easily and you should stop taking the aspirin." I did, and the bleeding stopped. ????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear anonymous,

    Thank you for sharing about your labor experience!

    Regarding pain tolerance, you may be interested to read my post called "Mythbusters: No Pain, No Gain" as it explains some of the difficulty in measuring pain tolerance and reasons for differing results. I also like heavenly princess's comment afterward.

    Regarding aspirin, I think standard medical practice is to recommend baby aspirin to help prevent cardiovascular issues and inflammation as one gets older. An alternative option might be to take a high quality fish oil that is high in anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids (up to 3-4 grams per day). It can help raise healthy cholesterol and it strengthens cell membranes. I like Nordic Naturals. If you think about it, us redheads thrived and multiplied in Viking territory where fish was a major source of our diet. There are dangers with over consuming fish though (mercury exposure etc), but Nordic Naturals tests its product and it is very high quality, which also makes it expensive unfortunately. Before taking any supplement, please discuss it with your physician.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to OB nursing and it is a widely held belief that redheads are more likely to hemorrhage after delivery. Nobody has been able to explain the physiology behind this belief, but all of the seasoned nurses swear they've seen it a thousand times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a natural redhead my obgyn told me to remind him during labor I was a redhead. True to the fact, I also hemorrhaged after childbirth. I also bruise easily the slightest touch will produce a dark bruise. After surgery it takes a good month for the bruises to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.kuta on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.kuta today on this Email address: drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2347054547814

    ReplyDelete
  13. Email: Infor@approvedocs.com

    https://approvedocs.com/buy-drivers-license-online/

    TELEGRAM: @Approveddocumente

    buy driver's license online USA

    buy genuine driving license

    buy dl number online

    buy driving license

    buy California driver license

    ReplyDelete